Tupac’s siblings are seven. They are Sekyiwa Shakur, Chinua Shakur, Takerra Allen, N’Neka Garland, Mopreme Garland, Malik Garland, and Landon Garland. In this article, we will delve into the lives of the seven siblings of Tupac.
Who was Tupac?
Born as Tupac Amaru Shakur, Tupac was a prominent American rapper, songwriter, actor and activist. He was born in East Harlem, New York City on the 16th of June, 1971. At the time of his death, he was just 25 years old.
He had a great impact in the history of hip-hop music. His lyrics often touched on Issues like racism, violence, poverty and social injustice. His songs often address the struggles and experiences of African Americans.
Tupac released numerous critically acclaimed albums during his career. Some of his albums include, “Strictly 4 My N.I.G.G.A.Z”, “Me Against The World”, “All Eyez on Me”, “2Pacalypse Now”, and “The Don Killuminati: The 7 Day Theory”. Some of his songs, “California Love”, “Changes”, and “Dear Mama” are still loved by many hip-hop fans.
Aside from his music career, Tupac was a talented actor. He featured in films such as “Juice”, “Poetic Justice”, “Above the Rim”, and “Gridlock’d.” He was known for his advocacy for social and political causes. He spoke out against police brutality, poverty, and inequality and he used his platform to address these issues in his music.
He faced legal troubles throughout his life, including arrests and imprisonment. Tupac’s life was cut short when he was fatally shot in a drive-by shooting in Las Vegas, Nevada on the 13th of September, 1996. Though his murder remains unsolved, he is remembered as a legend.
Who were Tupac’s parents?
Tupac’s parents were Afeni Shakur and Billy Garland. Afeni was a political activist and a member of the Black Panther Party. She gave birth to Tupac when she was 22 years old. Billy Garland, on the other hand, was also a Black Panther Party member. He was not involved in Tupac’s life for long since the young couple separated when Tupac was young and was majorly raised by his mother.
Mutulu Shakur is the stepfather of Tupac. He was a New Afrikan activist and a member of the Black Liberation Army who was sentenced to sixty years in prison for his involvement in a 1981 robbery of a Brinks armoured truck in which a guard and two police officers were murdered. He died in July 2023 at the age of 72 of cancer.
How many siblings did Tupac have?
The legendary musician has seven siblings. They are Sekyiwa Shakur, Chinua Shakur, Takerra Allen, N’Neka Garland, Mopreme Garland, Malik Garland, and Landon Garland.
Meet the Seven siblings of Tupac
- Sekyiwa Shakur is the half-sister of the legendary rapper, Tupac Shakur. Sekyiwa, who is often referred to as “Set” has kept a private life and has not been widely recognised as the sister of the famous singer, Tupac. She is the co-founder of Tupac Amaru Shakur Foundation, a non-profit organisation that provides educational and arts programmes for underprivileged youths.
- Mopeme Shakur was born as Maurice Shakur on the 16th of August, 1967. He is an American rapper and a former member of the “Thug Life”, a hip-hop group.
- Chinua Shakur is Tupac’s brother. His father, Mutulu Shakur, was an American activist and former member of the Black Liberation Army. Not much is known about Chinua.
- Nzingha Shakur was born on 16th May 1981 to Tupac’s step-parents, Mutulu Shakur and Makini Shakur. She is an alumna of McMurry University.
- Landon Garland is known as Tupac’s brother. He is not as famous as his brother hence nothing is known about him.
- Takerra Allen is Tupac’s sister. She writes many different kinds of books, mostly about African-American life and romance. One of her books, “Heaven’s Hell,” got nominated for an award. Some other books she wrote are “Needful Noor,” “An Affair in Munthill,” “Devout,” “Restricted,” “Last Stop From Innocence,” and “Thicker Than Water.”
- N’Neka Garland was the half-sister of Tupac. She had a heart attack and died at the age of 49 at Providence Saint Joseph Medical Centre in Burbank. Prior to her death, she was the producer of General Hospital, a ABC soap opera and had won the Daytime Emmy Award in 2021.